IGT has long been cited as a leader within and beyond the gaming industry for its commitment to important aspects of sustainability and social responsibility – with high ratings from the most prestigious environmental, social, and governance (ESG) rating agencies and a string of awards recognizing these efforts.
“There are always new ways to improve our sustainability goals,” said Wendy Montgomery, IGT Senior Vice President Marketing, Communications & Sustainability. “Last July, with the guidance of our Sustainability Steering Committee, we released IGT’s global Sustainability Plan, identifying areas where we can continue to refine our sustainability practices. The Plan also defines specific actions the company will take from 2022 to 2025 to bridge those gaps.
“We know that actions we take in the short term are building the basis for the future,” said Montgomery. “Over the past year, this plan has helped us further integrate sustainability along the value chain, while improving the company’s ESG performance in our daily operations.
“These initiatives go much deeper than IGT’s success. They also support the success of our customers and other stakeholders around the globe. With a strong foundation, centered on IGT’s Sustainable Play™ program, we continue to progress in achieving our sustainability goals, aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.”
Sustainable Play encompasses four pillars – or priorities – which bring to life the wide-ranging aspects of IGT’s ongoing commitment. Highlights from each pillar, detailed in the company’s 2022 Sustainability Report, include:
Valuing and Protecting Our People
With employees based in nearly 60 countries, IGT represents a multicultural environment where individual beliefs and needs are respected and valued. The Company is committed to protecting human rights, promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and preventing acts of discrimination. IGT adheres to a series of policies and procedures to ensure a safe, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- In 2022, IGT added its Human Rights Policy Statement to employee training, and more than 97 percent of IGT employees completed human rights training.
- IGT was included in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index, which measures LGBTQ+ inclusion in the workplace.
- In 2022, IGT became the first casino and gaming company, including lottery, to become a signatory to the UN’s Women’s Empowerment Principles, offering guidance to businesses on how to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in the workplace, marketplace, and community.
As a global leader in the gaming industry, IGT considers responsibility a critical part of its business. Risk mitigation features and capabilities are embedded in a system of codes, policies, guidelines, and best practices to protect customers, employees, players, suppliers and the environment.
- In 2022, IGT became the first U.S. industry supplier to achieve Global Gambling Guidance Group’s responsible gaming accreditation for sports betting. IGT is now certified in responsible gaming across all product segments.
- Through IGT’s adoption of a Positive Play approach, the company encourages positive, healthy play behaviors across all business segments.
Supporting Our Communities
IGT encourages sustainable communities where the company operates through corporate and employee-driven programs that align with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and facilitate opportunities for support, learning, and growth.
- In 2022, IGT developed and publicized its first formal Community Giving and Engagement Policy to inform and educate all relevant stakeholders about IGT’s approach to supporting the communities where it operates.
- After School Advantage, the company’s flagship philanthropic initiative, has provided youth with access to technology and access to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) educational opportunities. In 2022, IGT expanded this program to the U.K. through a partnership with the STEM Discovery Centre.
Fostering Sustainable Operations
As a supplier and operator, IGT ensures that its corporate policies and the internationally recognized ESG standards apply to the entire value chain. The company maintains year-round communication with its customers and retailers, while providing around-the-clock support through its contact centers and field services. IGT remains committed to addressing its environmental impact, implementing systems and strategies to prevent and mitigate its impact on climate change, biodiversity, and air pollution, while increasing circularity.
- In 2022, IGT submitted near-term and long-term targets to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) for validation pledging to reduce its carbon emissions and fight climate change.
- IGT also implemented decarbonization workstreams to investigate opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions that align with science-based targets.
Download the new report at IGT.com for more about IGT’s global sustainability program and achievements in 2022.