GLMS welcomes Cyprus Sports Organization as its first Sport Associate Member
Lausanne, October 15, 2020 – The Global Lottery Monitoring System (GLMS) announced today that the sports confederation of Cyprus, also co-ordinator of the Cypriot National Platform against manipulations of sports competitions, has become the first Sport Associate Member of GLMS since the launch of its updated Statutes.
As the highest sport authority in the country, Cyprus Sport Organization is a semi-governmental non-profit organization established in 1969 and its main objectives are, among others, the development of sports outside schools, the coordination of sport life in the country, the cultivation of the Olympic ideas, and the promotion of Cyprus sports on the international sport scene.
Associate membership with GLMS will support the intensive work undertaken by CSO since the last decade to fight manipulations of sports competitions in Cyprus. CSO has already collaborated with GLMS through related projects and is now looking to benefit directly from the various education, prevention and operation services that GLMS has to offer, including collaboration with the lotteries.
Commenting on this development, GLMS President, Ludovico Calvi stated, “We are delighted to welcome CSO as our first Sport associate member of GLMS since the launch of our updated Statutes. Having members such as CSO on board means enhancing the effectiveness of GLMS engagement against the phenomenon of sports competition manipulations, which since the pandemic outbreak has seen a spike in cases and a window of opportunities for criminal organizations and for fraudsters seeking to exploit weaknesses and take advantage of this moment of vulnerability of the ecosystem in the “new normal”.
Dr. Costas Solomou, National Coordinator for issues related to sports manipulations at CSO, added ‘’Cyprus has worked extremely hard over the last few years to bring a co-ordinated approach to our fight against sports manipulations, by working with all relevant stakeholders – working with GLMS and its member lotteries is another big step in this direction. The consistent and evolving work of GLMS operationally and with regard to education and prevention to protect the integrity of sports and to encourage trans-sectorial exchange is vital. We are very proud to join the growing GLMS associate family and strengthen our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of sports integrity.”
As a GLMS Associate Member, CSO will adhere to the GLMS Code of Conduct and its Statutes as applied to associate members and will be linked to the GLMS visual identity and overall operations. It will receive the benefit of workshops, studies and projects in which GLMS is involved or which it organizes as well as summaries of GLMS global alerts and the global information network. Finally, CSO will be able to actively participate in GLMS’ key working groups, bringing with it a detailed understanding of the challenges and opportunities related to Cyprus and its region.
About GLMS (glms-sport.org)
GLMS is the state lotteries’ mutualized monitoring system on sports betting. It aims at detecting and analyzing suspicious betting activities that could question the integrity of a sport competition. Building on six years of experience with the establishment in 2009 of ELMS with European Lotteries, GLMS went global in January 2015 extending the network to other continents. GLMS facilitates the sharing of sports betting information as part of the collective efforts of its members in ensuring sports integrity globally, and is dedicated to effective cooperation with all key stakeholders: regulators, law enforcement authorities, sports organizations.
GLMS currently has:
- 33 Individual Members from 4 continents
- Africa: La Marocaine des Jeux et des Sports, Morocco, Loterie Nationale du Sénégal – Senegal
- Asia: China Sports Lottery – China, Hong Kong Jockey Club – Hong Kong, Singapore Pools – Singapore, Ktoto Co – South Korea
- Europe: Österreichische Lotterien - Austria, Loterie Nationale – Belgium, Hrvatska Lutrija – Croatia, SAZKA – Czech Republic, Danske Spil – Denmark, Veikkaus – Finland, La Française Des Jeux – France, Lotto Bayern – Germany, Opap SA – Greece, Szerencsejatek – Hungary, Islenk Getspa – Iceland, Israel Sports Betting Board - Israel, Lottomatica – Italy, Sisal – Italy, Maltco Lotteries Ltd – Malta, Norsk Tipping – Norway, Santa Casa De Misericordia da Lisboa – Portugal, STOLOTO – Russia, Sportna Loterija – Slovenia, Svenska Spel – Sweden, Loterie Romande – Switzerland, Swisslos – Switzerland, Nederlandse Loterij, The Netherlands
- North America: Loto-Québec- Canada, OLG – Canada
- South America: Polla Chilena de Beneficencia – Chile, Banca de Quinielas de Montevideo – Uruguay
- TWO Collective Members: European Lotteries Association (EL) and World Lottery Association (WLA)
- 6 Associate Members:
- General: ODDSET GmbH
- Suppliers: IGT, INTRALOT, Scientific Games International (SGI), Sporting Solutions
- Sport: Cyprus Sports Organization
GLMS’ new sport associate member, CSO, is a semi-governmental non-profit organization established back in 1969 by law and its main objectives according to the C.S.O. establishment law, section III, (1996) are among others: the development of sports outside schools, the coordination of the sport life in the country, the cultivation of Olympic ideas, and the promotion of Cyprus sports on the international sport scene.