CAMELOT named as a top company in THE SUNDAY TIMES best companies to work for 2020
February 21, 2020 – Camelot UK Lotteries Limited (‘Camelot’), operator of The National Lottery, last night placed 35th in The Sunday Times Best 100 Mid Companies 2020. This hard-fought and celebrated list represents the 100 companies in the ‘mid’ category with the highest Best Companies Index scores.
In awarding Camelot its place, Best Companies and The Sunday Times said: “Camelot's primary purpose to "change lives" is double-edged. Life certainly changes for its champagne-popping lottery winners [and] Good Causes receive an average of £30m a week, helping millions more. Nigel Railton, the chief executive, leads the organisation based on sound moral principles and inspires his team. Staff are happy with their work-life balance and feel they can make a valuable contribution to the success of the business.”
Camelot’s CEO Nigel Railton said: “I’m absolutely delighted that Camelot has been recognised as one of the best companies to work for in the UK. I’ve been with Camelot since 1998 and have always known it’s a remarkable place to work. Since being appointed CEO in 2017, and with the help of our fantastic People Team and some great advocates around the business, we’ve worked really hard to make everybody feel truly valued and engaged. We’ve also focused on helping them to fully appreciate that the work they do changes lives in two ways – through the winners that The National Lottery creates, with more than 30 millionaires each month, and the Good Causes that National Lottery players support to the tune of over £30 million each and every week.”
Camelot has been sole operator of The National Lottery since 1994. Under the company’s stewardship, The National Lottery raised more than £40 billion for Good Causes over the last 25 years – 60% more than the most optimistic Treasury forecasts at the time of launch. Camelot employs around 900 people across five sites in the UK, with its head office based in Watford.
To join the ‘mid’ category list, an organisation must employ at least 250 full-time employees and achieve one of the 100 highest Best Companies Index scores in the category. Camelot has been awarded a 3 Star accreditation – which is Best Companies’ highest standard of workplace engagement, representing organisations that truly excel and have ‘extraordinary’ levels of workplace engagement.
- Camelot UK Lotteries Limited is the licensed operator of The National Lottery® and is committed to raising money for National Lottery Good Causes designated by Parliament. Camelot is not responsible for distributing or awarding these funds.
- On average, Camelot generates over £30 million each week for National Lottery-funded projects. In total, over £40 billion has now been raised and more than 565,000 individual grants have been made across the UK – the equivalent of around 200 lottery grants in every UK postcode district.
- The National Lottery has so far awarded over £73 billion in prizes and created more than 5,500 millionaires or multi-millionaires since its launch in 1994.
- Camelot runs one of the most cost-efficient major lotteries in Europe, with around 4% of total revenue spent on operating costs.
- The UK National Lottery is ranked just 63rd in the world in terms of per capita spend, despite being the sixth largest lottery in the world by sales – underlining the effectiveness of Camelot’s strategy to encourage lots of people to play but to only spend relatively small amounts (Source: La Fleur’s 2020 World Lottery Almanac).
- Camelot continues to make its player protection activities best-in-class through its work to reduce excessive play, prevent underage play and promote safe play, as well as by working closely with partners such as GambleAware – as part of its Safer Gambling Campaign – and GamCare.
- With over seven million active registered players, national-lottery.co.uk is Europe’s largest online lottery in terms of sales and one of the top e-commerce sites in the UK.
- For further information on Camelot, The National Lottery and its games, please visit: www.camelotgroup.co.uk and www.national-lottery.co.uk
- Players of all National Lottery games must be aged 16 or over.
Camelot Press Office: 020 7632 5711