The new gaming company Veikkaus starts on 1 January 2017
The Finnish gaming operations will be shouldered entirely by a single company, as the activities of the current three operators Fintoto, Finland’s Slot Machine Association RAY, and Veikkaus merge in 2017.
The merger aims at strengthening the Finnish gaming system while at the same time reinforcing the mitigation of the social and health-related problems that are associated with gaming.
- For our customers, the merger means a more versatile game portfolio and even better customer experiences. The tools for the self-control of gaming will also be gathered on one website in 2017. Safe gaming with moderate stakes are among the new company’s main priorities, says CEO Olli Sarekoski.
The customers will not be able to see the changes at once. The game portfolio will be preserved and the points of sale continue to serve the customers just as before. The webstores veikkaus.fi, ray.fi, and fintoto.fi, together with the related user IDs will also stay the same at the beginning of the year.
Total proceeds for the common good
The proceeds of the new company will continue to be used for good purposes in their entirety. They are used to ensure the funding of thousands of NGOs promoting the wellbeing of Finns.
- Thanks to the players, over one billion euros are accumulated for the common good every year. The funds are distributed for purposes that, for example, enable Finns to engage in different freetime activities, stay healthy, and get well. They are used to support many kinds of volunteering activities and to help people in everyday crises, says CEO Sarekoski.
Out of the proceeds, 53% will be channelled to sports, science, culture, and youth work. Promoting health and social wellbeing will receive 43% of the funds, whereas horse breeding and equestrian sports will receive 4%.
The grants based on Veikkaus funds can be applied for with the relevant Ministries, which are also responsible for granting them. The application process will remain the same with the Ministry of Education and Culture. The preparation, payments, follow-up, and monitoring of the funds distribution by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health will be carried out by the Funding Centre for Social Welfare and Health Organisations. As regards the equine industry and equestrian sports, the funds will be granted by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
New brand adopted gradually
Veikkaus will receive a new brand and visual image, which will be gradually introduced to the gaming locations and the materials. At first, the new visual image will be seen on, e.g., playslips and the result broadcasts of Lotto’s TV shows and horse races. More information on the new brand
Key figures of the new Veikkaus:
- Veikkaus generates over one billion euros a year for the common good.
- The games are subject to an age limit of 18 years. Veikkaus finances Peluuri, the Finnish Gambling Helpline, with ca. one million euros a year. Further, it covers the expenses incurred from research into gambling problems carried out by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health in accordance with the Lotteries Act with ca. 2.5 million euros a year.
- 1.9 million loyal customers.
- Internet gaming represents around one third of the total gaming. Finland’s largest consumer webstore veikkaus.fi has 400 000 players a week.
- Ca. 7 000 gaming locations all over Finland.
- Workplace to ca. 2 000 gaming industry professionals.
I wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
About Veikkaus (www.veikkaus.fi)
Veikkaus-joy for life
Veikkaus is the most efficient gaming company in Europe. The joy of playing our games benefits every Finn. We cater to a wide customer base that plays moderately.
Development Manager, Communications
Postal address: Karhunkierros 4, FI-01640 Vantaa, Finland
Telephone: +358 40 776 1459